A calcium deficiency can cause your baby to develop rickets, deformed bones or be vulnerable. Therefore, parents need to have the knowledge to safely and effectively supplement calcium for babies
Calcium plays an important role in a child’s development. This substance contributes to the structure of bones and teeth of the baby’s body. Parents can refer to a few methods below to help children get enough calcium properly.
Signs of infant’s calcium deficiency
If your child has some of the following symptoms, he or she may be calcium deficient:
- Or fussing, sleeping often startled or not sleeping well. Even babies are crying, cramping, red or purple face and crying does not stop.
- Babies twist, have milk leaked.
- Sweating more, especially when sleeping.
- Baby with hair loss.
- Laryngospasm, shortness of breath, hiccups, milk shakes … If severe, breathing can stop, increase heart rate and heart failure.
- If the infant is severely deficient in calcium, the constriction will be slow, flattened, flat chest, legs shaped like bowls or bowls, teething slowly ….
- When it is found that children are deficient in calcium, it is best to consult with a pediatrician and nutritionist. Doctors and experts will base on the needs of calcium at the age of the baby to give the appropriate instructions.
Cause children lack calcium
- Newborn babies are often very vulnerable to calcium deficiency. There are several possible causes of calcium deficiency in children as follows:
- During childbirth, asphyxiation or hypoxia.
- Parents do not let their children sunbathe or sunbathe the wrong way.
- During pregnancy, the mother is pregnant with gestational poisoning or gestational diabetes.
- Mother diet, diet daily lack calcium.
The dosage of calcium required for infants
Excess calcium intake can lead to a number of negative outcomes such as constipation, bone pain, and kidney calcification. Therefore, parents need to know the calcium needed for infants:
- For babies 0-6 months: 300mg / day
- With babies 6-12 months: 400mg / day
Ways of calcium supplementation for babies
Calcium supplementation for newborns through breast milk
All nutrition experts recommend that mothers breastfeed their babies for the first 6 months so that their babies can get the calcium they need. In case the mother does not have enough conditions to breastfeed, she can let the child drink suitable formula rich in calcium.
Nutrition experts are recommending that mothers should breastfeed for the first 6 months so that children are provided the necessary amount of calcium for the body. In case the mother does not have enough conditions to breastfeed, she can let the child drink suitable formula rich in calcium.
Supplement vitamin D with sunbathing
To help children absorb calcium best, supplementing with vitamin D is one of the effective methods. To enhance vitamin D for babies, mothers should sunbath them properly and reasonably. The appropriate time for the baby to sunbathe is from 6-8 am because the infrared and ultraviolet rays at this time are weak. When sunbathing, the mother should also pay attention to shielding the baby, avoiding the baby’s skin is hurt.
Calcium supplementation for babies with food
For children who have started weaning period (many 5-month-old babies have been weaned), mothers can supplement calcium for children through calcium-rich foods such as:
Shrimp, crab, fish
Note: You need to monitor if your child is allergic to any food to avoid feeding.
Calcium supplementation for newborns with medication
In the case of children with severe calcium deficiency, they will have to take drugs with high calcium content. However, the use of drugs for children requires a doctor’s appointment. Parents absolutely must not arbitrarily buy medicine for children.